Total Pageviews

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Monty BCA BE90 12-06-11

yuck yuck yuck - i know we needed rain but did we have to have all of May's rain in one day?

I think I got the best of the day which was yet another 5am start as it was only spitting during my dressage and only really came down when I was tacking up for XC.

Dressage he was in spooky mode and didn't like the 2 big pots of flowers at A so we had some tension but it was obedient enough. Predicted mid 30's so pleased enough with 34.5 athough I do wish they wouldn't announce it as you're 1 stride away from the 1st fence in the SJ! Was having a few stud issues - fine day for it but appear to have mullered my threads and my studs wouldn't screw in properly so was a bit wary of the ground. Had to be led into the SJ arena as mr.nappy decided he couldn't walk past the scary wooden hut. Got going and he was a bit spooky and a bit careless and we finished on 8 faults although he clattered at least 2 others so am lucky it wasn't more! He can have days like that - I need to do some more work on getting him to snap up quicker in front as he always belts them out in front when he has one down.

Had to give myself a talking to to make myself go XC as it was tipping it down and I was already on 42.5 and quite fancied going home but off we went. Again, had to be led over to the start box as he didn't like going through the trees and round the starters hut. Pesky nappy, spooky thing. I had decided not to chase the time due to the ground being on the soft side (who would have thought I'd say that a wk ago!), my stud issues and my current score but equally I wasn't deliberately going slowly. Did have to remind myself to kick on between fences a few times as I think I was half asleep and happily cruising round! In all the time I was warming up no-one went clear at the corner at fence 7 but was determined to do the straight route esp as already on a lower score so worth testing him with a harder fence. So, he flew round 1 to 6 no probs, the line to 7 was awful - round a long curving right hand bend where he was spooking at something on the left so shooting right anyway and then you had to change to left bend to get a straight line at the corner which was pretty narrow as it had a huge flowerpot on the wider bit so not leaving you much to aim at - everyone was just shooting out the right hand side. We didn't get the best line but he's not really one for running out to the right - he had a slight wobble and we were a bit close to the flag but nothing major. He had more of a wobble at fence 9 which was just a narrow carved log with brush on top but bit of leg and we were fine then popped over the ditch 3 strides later. Left his back legs on the first part of the combination to the step down as he saw the step halfway over but not badly. Slight wobble into the water as he got confused by looking at the BE100/Novice options and nearly lost me out the side as he plunged out the other side and spooked at the Novice fence. Flew over the last and kicked on through the finish. 

Wasn't really expecting to go inside the time but was a bit dismayed to see 14 time faults (35secs over time limit!) I really do need to learn how fast to go. I made the time at Borde Hill 2wks ago though and didn't feel I was that much slower today but he was a bit more spooky. Oh well, I'm happy that we went clear where many others didn't and that we made it back in one piece considering ground, weather, studs etc. Rather take it slower and get home safely and at least it meant I didn't need to hang around for a prize giving in the pouring rain! Gotta think of the plus points!


XC fence 5

XC fence 10

Show-Jumping

piccie from Borde Hill BE90

whole course album

1 comment:

  1. I really dont envy you that in the rain! Glad he was a good boy for you apart from the spooking though!

    ReplyDelete