Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 February 2014

Chris Burton SJ lesson

Focused on getting him round in the canter to start with - he must soften and connect his back end.  Struggling so Chris got on and immediately had him soft and in self carriage - awesome to watch - no idea how he did it!  Then he just calmly popped him over a x pole oxer warmup and he pinged it before coming to a smooth halt a couple of strides later.  Easy peasy!

I got back on and initially almost had the same feel then Monty worked out it was me on top again and started being a giraffe - he doesn't make my life easy!  Had to give him a nudge with the spur and hold with my hand for 3 strides max then let go.  Eventually he did soften to this, especially on the left rein but it still needs a lot of work.  Not sure Chris believes me when I tell him the horse is working at Medium and scores really well at dressage now!  He really tells me off for nagging.  I did much better with my leg today - he had to react and go and he was really towing me into the jumps which was good in a way although he was totally ignoring me when I said wait - normally just saying wait with my hands is enough but I think I probably should have been using my weight and seat more when he was being so forwards.  He says I nag with my hands too to get him round and mustn't coz it annoys him!  To be fair, I don't normally even attempt to get him round in a SJ round and normally fail in the warmup too.  I'm sure it's me - in a dressage saddle I can sit deep and use my core to hold him.  In the SJ saddle I really struggle to even sit to his canter with my knees jacked up.  Got told off for bouncing as well today - need to work more on being able to sit to the canter and hold him with my core.

Did an exercise cantering between 2 poles - had to start off in a nice, forward canter and he naturally put 5 strides in so then had to do 6 on each rein then 7 on each rein.  At this point had got it spot on every time and lots of praise - he said I'd judged it perfectly :)  Struggled with 8 strides but got there on 2nd attempt. Chris was laughing and said at last I'd got it wrong!  Failed at 9 strides though.  This was the point where Chris got on and very easily put 9 strides in having never even ridden the horse before.  Core is the key.  He said he just holds him with his seat - easier said than done I feel!  He said he does between 3 and 13 strides on his advanced horses and Monty should be able to do the same!

Moved onto jumping - started with an upright then halt after then a skinny and halt after.  Praised for these.  Moved onto a course - remembered to open my inside hand on landing and he landed on correct lead after every fence.  Made the course more difficult - 2 curved lines on 5 strides - oxer to skinny, oxer to upright then oxer to oxer, then skinny, 4 strides to 1 stride double.  Got in a bit deep to 1st oxer-oxer so really had to ride the 5 strides but just about made it - if he gets in deep and lands deep he does then struggle to get his hocks under him to make up a distance.  Went clear - more praise.  Had to ride the oxer line again and this time got perfect stride and he clipped it in front - pesky pony.  I get it right and he gets complacent and doesn't try!  I bugger it up and he turns himself inside out to clear it.  Generally pleased - I did hold him a couple of times when maybe I should have pushed on for the bigger stride as it then made the related distances awkward by landing deep but he still had the power to clear the fences and he feels full of confidence rather than before when he'd get in deep with no power and make a horrid shape.

Chris asked how he was bred and said what a good horse he was.  He asked Monts if he'd like to go and live in his yard.  Only if I can come too lol!




No comments:

Post a Comment