Total Pageviews

Wednesday 18 June 2014

Chris Burton XC lesson - Parwood - 18-06-14

Today I was lucky enough to get a private lesson with Chris at Parwood, courtesy of Eventing magazine.  My first XC lesson with Chris and boy was it just what we needed.  He had the measure of our problems straight away and it helps that he knows us well now so knew exactly what we needed to get us both back on track, stop panicing and start jumping like he knows we can.

We started off just walking through the water which he did with no concerns at all.  Then went and popped over some of the littlies and already felt better than last week..  Moved back to the water and cantered over the log, straight through in canter with no hesitation, up the big step and then curved line to sheep feeder - foot perfect.  Felt like I'd been making up all our problems!  Then did the big pheasant feeder and round to a skinny roll top.  I successfully saw backwards strides to both of these and did horrid jumps over both.  Chris said he could see the problem we'd been having and where we'd lost faith in each other.  He sent me off to jump the hedge on a long rein and give him a smack on the bum on the way over and he didn't think too much of that, shot off afterwards and from then on turned into the mad Monty I know and love - boinging around, dragging me to the fences and seemed to be having loads of fun - he is such an odd horse - you have to wind him up like some kind of clockwork toy then let him go or he'll just bumble around half asleep making life much harder for himself.

hedge:

Went back to the pheasant feeder to roll top and did a much better job - lovely stride to both of them:


Then moved onto the table and corner - practised jumping the table centre then off to one side in preparation for the corner which he did brilliantly every time.  I don't have the corner issues I used to - I trust him to go as long as I kick!



We then did this huge oxer thing I've never done before and it was meant to be 5 strides to the skinny brush - I managed to hold for 6 but he did at least stay straight and true and not think about running out.  Did it again aiming for left side of skinny brush and again got 6 in but landed quite deep from the oxer so was the right decision to sit and wait that time.  He said I was still being a bit backwards as there was a much more forwards stride off the corner for the oxer but I held for one more and need to ride forwards more to a big oxer.  Turned it round and did the skinny brush and 5 strides to the oxer - he said to sit back and give him a smack on the bum  - it was the longest 5 strides ever and I didn't think we'd make it so forgot about the smack and just got ready to go with whatever happened and he flew it - he really isn't lacking in scope, just self-belief a lot of the time.  When he believes he can do it he can jump the moon!

Finished with jumping another more acute corner.  He put a guide rail on it just to make sure we ended on a good note.  He said it was always important to set them up for success when XC schooling and keep it all well within their ability limits.  He was leaping and bouncing and taking me to the fences again and felt so full of himself again it was fantastic. Did it 3 times and no doubt he was going to jump it each time.


I was just getting myself into a viscious circle of negativity but he has snapped us out of it and I feel so ready to crack on again now.  We have got Rackham BE90 this Sunday and I am really looking forward to having some fun now.

No comments:

Post a Comment