Total Pageviews

Sunday 6 July 2014

Patchetts BD 06-07-14

Well, not quite as exciting a report as my usual eventing ones and rather lacking on photos as on my little ownsome today but have to say I still had rather a lovely day and pootled home in the lorry singing along to songs with a big grin on my face.  I get such a kick out of doing a good dressage test, it's almost as good as the post XC high!  It was also rather nice to have a lie in, not have a XC course to march round and not have any nerves buzzing around in my stomach.  Plus, I was back at the yard 5hrs after I left which included 2.5hrs of travelling - bonus!

So, we went off to Patchetts today.  One of my favourite venues yet I'm pretty sure Monty has never been which means it must be years since I last went with Llewi!  It's not top of my list of venues to go to thanks to the M25, although it was very kind to us today thankfully!  Have decided that I am done with Novices now and it's time to move onto Elementaries.  Aim of today was to qualify for Area Festivals with another couple of sheets over 62%.  His work has come on leaps and bounds recently and he's more than capable of Ele's now - they just need a bit of polish.  Due to eventing the last few weeks I had only had a chance to work on the tests this week and I only have a small arena so it was always going to be a bit rough around the edges!

First test was E43 - not one I've ever done before but seemed like a nice test.  He went really sweetly, did everything in the right place, even had a good bash at the medium trot and finished with a super halt.  Saluted and looked up to see judge grinning madly at me - thought that was a good sign!  Popped Monty back to the lorry and back to the score tent as scores go up so quick at Patchetts.  Nearly fell over when I saw 72.58%.  Had to double and triple check that really was next to my name - was half expecting them to come along and change it!  That is the best score I have ever had in 10yrs of BD on 3 different horses from Prelim to Elementary.  We ended up winning the Restricted section which I was a bit gobsmacked about as some seriously nice horses poncing round the warmup and was sure the last one to go would pip us but we stayed at the top by 2marks.  Unfortunately a couple of marks behind 2nd/3rd in the Open so the Open riders got all the prize money :(  Still, flipping over the moon with my little horse.  That's a snazzy 7 points towards Winter Regionals - only need 8 more before end of November.

Chuffed with 8's for his FWLR, trot-canter left and final halt.  Only dropped below 7 for his first half 10m trot circle and his leg yields.  7.5, 7.0, 7.5, 7.5 for collectives.  Just need to work on the leg yield and could score even higher!  Clever little orange horse.

2nd test was E53 which I have ridden once before.  As is fairly usual with Monty, he was not overly impressed with being made to do more work after a 20min break, certainly not more work involving more dressage and a harder test.  I think he thought he should either be SJ or going home!  He didn't warm up as well and then the test arena was next to a hedge blowing in the wind which had a road behind it which some horses clattered down and there were some Monty eating banners on the fence next to the arena.  This all resulted in tension which does not make for a pretty picture or an easy test at that level.  First medium trot didn't happen at all, he anticipated a canter transition in the same place as in the other test and broke pace, his medium canters were all crooked, his extended walk involved chucking his head around and then he cantered in the final medium trot down the centre line and halted all wonky - I just had to laugh - he really is a doughnut sometimes.  You can't be cross at him - he tries his hardest, his brain is just wired up a bit doolally!  We were lying last when I left on a score of 63.76%.  He wasn't far off the others though - without the mistakes we'd have got a Regional qualifying score (>64%) and with a bit more practice it's a test he could score well in.  Still, another sheet for Area Festivals which is what I went for.  Ended up 5th out of 7 in the Restricted, 15th out of 17 overall - not our finest result!  We did score an 8 for our 10m canter circle left though which is pretty fab - he is so balanced now :)  We got 7's for trot-walk-trot's, counter canters, working trot, 10m trot circle right, collected trot, rein back and medium walk down centre line.  5 for leg yield right for too much left neck bend, 5 for cantering when we should be trotting and 4 for cantering when we should have been medium trotting.  Apparently our final halt was square though lol.  Medium canters were on the forehand and quarters in on R rein.  7667 collectives. "A lovely attitude to the work, needs to work more through from behind into a steadier acceptance of the bridle"

Yum yum dinner - that's all he really wanted all day!

Next outing for him will be XC clinic with Chris at Coombelands on Wednesday then a weekend off.

No comments:

Post a Comment