Total Pageviews

Sunday 19 October 2014

Owen Moore BE training day at Lyneham Heath 16-10-14

I decided to make the long trip up to Oxfordshire for the opportunity to train round a brand new XC course with a great reputation, combined with the fact that at a cost of £48 for an hour of SJ and 1.5hrs of XC it was too good to miss!

We set off at 7.30am and were there in good time at 9.45am so time for Monty to have a leg stretch before our lesson at 11am.  Was surprised to find it was still on grass after recent rain and we were the third group so ground pretty chewed up.  Not what I would choose to compete on, let alone train on, but not much I could do and I guess it is good practice just in case Badminton is a big soggy mess.  He warmed up rather brightly in a large grassy field and gave me a perfect flying change both ways (something we've been putting some serious work in on recently!)  We warmed up well - I was using my schooling whip as per last Chris lesson and he was towing me in.  Then moved on to ride a course.  Kept the height down as he was getting stuck in the mud a bit but the bigger fences I rode better and he jumped well and we did a few at 1,05m, inc a triple bar and water tray so it was worth doing.

Few hours rest while the others did their XC then it was our turn.  The heavens opened right at the beginning which made reins and saddle all slippy but then the sun came out and we dried out again.  We worked through water, steps down into water (which he was a little hesitant about - definitely something to work on still), most of the ditches there - ones with a slope down to and ones on the flat and he never hesitated.  Did a coffin with hanging logs either side on an angle, no probs, didn't think twice.  They have a bigger coffin with really airy hanging logs and slope down to a ditch that I'd like to have a go at when the ground is better so definitely planning a return trip before Badders as it was 100% the best XC course I've schooled round.  Huge variety of fences, loads of lovely hedges between the fields and every fence you could dream of, all with all-weather take offs and landings which was fab considering the recent weather!  We did a couple of meaty left handed corners on a right 90degree turn which he flew, steps down to skinnies no probs, skinnies on turns no probs.  I didn't give him a chance to question, just rode forwards and he answered.  Only time he questioned me was bounce up 2 steps then 3 positive strides to a brush into space - fab 2nd time round though. (definitely will do more work on getting him to trust me when he has to jump and land down a steep hill) Finished with jumping a big rolltop on top of a mound, landing into space down steep slope to ditch on 2.5strides (we did 3), then 2 strides to another meaty narrow rolltop on an angle - flew it!  Honestly, if he chucks me in the coffin at Badminton again next year I don't know what more I could do to prepare him!

No comments:

Post a Comment