Total Pageviews

Sunday 7 February 2016

SJL lesson on Theo, Grand Prix horse 29-01-16

Amazing opportunity to ride a horse currently out competing at Grand Prix dressage thanks to my super trainer, Sara-Jane Lanning.  Absolutely honoured to be given the chance to ride such a superstar.

We started off just with some trot so I could get used to his massive movement.  He is 17hh compared to little Monts who is only 15.2hh and had such a huge variation in his trot that Monty just doesn't have.  We played with making it bigger and then really collecting him up into passage which was great fun.



Then moved on to the canter.  Had a play with the flying changes.  Interesting that I found the right to left most difficult as I do on Monty.  Took me quite a while to find that button but we did eventually master a line of 4 times and 3 times.  Do love playing with the tempi changes - so much fun!  Must remember to keep the neck straight in the changes.  I found the tempis on a straight line much easier than riding the changes on a serpentine as getting too much inside neck bend round the corner and losing the shoulder.  Almost want to think about having the new bend round the corner before asking for the change.


Then we had some fun with the canter pirouettes.  Never ridden these before so this was a great experience as we have just started introducing this work to Monty.  Was interesting to note how slow the canter feels in the pirouette.  These are our attempts.  Plenty for me still to learn with these but was great fun having a go.




Huge thanks to Sara-Jane for giving me the opportunity to ride such a wonderful, patient horse who made me feel very safe.  I could count on one hand the number of horses I've ridden in the last decade so it was quite something to get on a 17hh with so much power but he was the perfect gentleman.  Spent the whole session with a huge grin on my face!

A few photos thanks to Sara-Jane.






No comments:

Post a Comment