Total Pageviews

Tuesday 7 August 2012

End of week1 at home.

So he has been home a week now and we have settled into a routine.

ACP every morning - 150mg

Has managed around 7hrs in the field each day.  Day 3 he had about 9hrs and discovered a complete wreck when I got there in the evening - fencing everywhere, snapped plastic post with the bottom half nowhere to be seen and nearly uprooted 2 wooden posts.  He must have got a leg stuck which is exactly how he did the original injury so not quite what we had planned in recovery.  I thought by electrifying the fence we would avoid this but sadly not.  Fortunately he is booted up to the nth degree and appears not to have done himself any damage - thankfully the fence did snap eventually but shouldn't have thought it came easily.  So since that day have been making sure he gets his ACP in the morning then doesn't go out until 2-3hrs later and just spends the afternoon in the field before coming back in again.  Cant really imagine this routine changing much until he is doing some trot work and I can risk opening up his field a bit bigger.  Cant really expect him not to get bored when he's out in a field the size of a couple of stables.  Fortunately lots of grass at the moment to keep him busy.  Have got a snack ball for him for when he's eaten the grass down a bit.

Have ridden for 30mins in walk every day except yesterday and been very calm, not even a hint of badness.  Been alternating walking round the block on the roads with a little loop on the ranges. Today however, complete nightmare - went on the ranges and he felt on edge from the word go.  Remember thinking that he felt a bit like he might just let rip but I knew if I turned him round he surely would so wanted to get to where I could do a little loop round rather than just turn on the spot and go home but we did our little loop and as soon as we turned back towards home he completely let rip - was terrified of getting fly bucked off like Llewi did to me when he was coming back into work.  Fortunately he didn't actually buck, just coiled up and leapt around like a total lunatic.  I was shouting at him so much to get him to stop and then curled him round my inside leg and did shoulder in all the way home but he escaped from me a few times and leapt around a bit more.  Not what his leg needs.  Hope it is still looking ok tomorrow.  Stupid bloody horse.  I hate hacking him at the best of times and only do it because I feel I should.

Worked out his recovery plan last night and he wont start trotting till early October, cantering end of November and no schooling until end of December.  That's 5 months of hacking every day which will be about 5 times more than I've hacked him out in the entire 2yrs I've had him.  That horse is not a happy hacker - it's why I got him cheap - he is a total liability and has ditched plenty of people.  He is currently on loading doses of Cool, Calm and Collected, Valerian liquid, Chammomile and the ACP - I cant give him any more calmers!  Be lucky if we both survive this.  Petrified of him getting me off and galloping home across the main road :(  Cant walk him in the school - has to be flat, level surface so hacking it is and think we're in need of more ACP.

No comments:

Post a Comment