Total Pageviews

Saturday 10 August 2013

An easy week

Having had his hocks done last Friday, Monts had Sat and Sun off.  He stayed in Friday night and all of Saturday then went back in the field.  Monday my friend rode him in the school, mostly in walk just to get his joints moving again.

Tuesday I schooled him trying to keep it all fairly low key - all long and low stretching work, all big circles, no direct transitions, no changes within the pace.  He felt good, lovely and forwards and free.  I had 3 trot poles out which he did nicely both ways then a couple of canter poles with one stride between them.  On the right rein I had a good run up at them and just sat there keeping my big, relaxed canter and he made them feel easy.  On the left rein they were off a much tighter turn and I just could not get them right and he kept leaping them.  They're only poles, he should be able to meet them wherever in his stride but he wants to meet them like they're jumps and get it dead right all the time.  I couldn't get it right - tried to keep the canter flowing forwards round the corner and then tried to collect it up more and make him sit and wait but should know by now that just kills the canter.  Not sure I'm cut out for this SJ lark - I just seem to be good at messing it up!

Wednesday I took him for a hack up the ranges.  He has felt so lacklustre recently I thought I might be brave and take him on a route I haven't done in ages as he got a bit psycho about it.  Started off ok, he was happy to have a gentle canter on the first bit of heather.  Ground still quite firm so just walked on the next bit which he grumped about but managed.  Then had a little trot and he was ok.  Back to walk, round the corner and he turned himself inside out grunting and I realised he remembered exactly where he was.  Naughty pony!  Slight panic as was in the midst of heather tracks that he knows are for galloping on and no easy way home.  Let him have a canter up a hill but forgot that track goes nowhere so had to turn him round and go back the way I'd come - that was fun!  Then down a steep hill to the bottom of his gallop hill and he was boinging.  No way was I gonna hold him to walk so let him bounce his way up there in a very steady hand canter - he was gagging to go flat out but pretty sure that's not what the vet prescribed!  He bounced home after that - far more like the Monts I know and love to hate hacking!

Thursday Helen did a bit of schooling with him and apparently he was dead and lazy - naughty pony.

Friday I schooled him after work and made sure to work on having him buzzing off my leg and he was really good - still kept it all quite low key and stretchy.  We did some trot poles with alternate ends raised.  Really tried to get him to go through them still stretchy but he just wants to hollow and run through them - not quite what I want!  Managed not too bad on the left rein in the end but on the right rein he kept jumping them as 2 pairs then the final one so got off and took down one side of the raised poles so just alternate ones raised at one end.  He then consented to trot though nicely - silly horse.

Today took it up a notch again.  Took a little while to convince him he could trot in a normal outline again, not just a long and low one!  He did some really nice counter canter work (cantering figures of eight), some perfectly acceptable simple changes (best when I remember how to ride them properly!) and I got some very exciting medium trot strides - they just need more refinement and a bit more softness but really felt him push from behind rather than run.  We did a bit of LY in trot and some smaller circles and then LY out.  Lots of transitions and some rein back.  Finished off with some really super trot stretching on both reins getting him reaching right down to the floor and lifting over his back.  Very pleased with him.

Tomorrow we are off for a long hack with Llewi and another horse which hopefully he will enjoy.  Have got a lesson on Wednesday in preparation for Area Festivals on Saturday at Oldencraig.  Want to work on this medium trot but otherwise it is a test he should be capable of scoring well in.  Might pop him over some jumps on Thursday too - rekindle some enthusiasm.  Bought him some Saracen Speed Mix today - hoping for a bit of buzz without sending him mental!

No comments:

Post a Comment