Total Pageviews

Friday 28 December 2012

Falling off - ouch!

Bastard orange horse.

Was having a nice hack - it was a bit blustery but not that bad.  Had a nice canter around the ranges but he is just so mental out there and it's my fault for letting him canter everywhere but he needs to canter lots to be fit enough.  Cantered up to the top and then set off along the top.  Suddenly he jinxed at a puddle - it wasn't even anything massive but just got me off balance and then the bastard set off on a rodeo display.  I would have stayed on no probs if it wasn't for that.  I hung on for ages but just couldn't get back in the plate well enough to pull the bugger up.  He was getting faster and faster and I just knew it wasn't going to end well.  In the end just let go as it was gonna hurt more the longer I hung on.  Hit the ground with quite a thud and my head hit the ground pretty hard too.  My lovely Champion Ventair has a big hole in the cover and no doubt is crushed inside too given the impact.  £90 down the drain - grrrr.

So, had the pleasure of watching my horse gallop off into the sunset, literally.  No point running after him - he's well faster than me.  Caught sight of fluorescent up by the gate so thought he had stopped with the other horses I'd met earlier.  Got closer and the lady comes towards me calling my name (no idea who she is!) and my heart sinks into my boots - I thought if she doesn't have him he must be stuck in the cattle grid :(  But nope - thank god he wasn't.  Turns out she had him for a while but he wouldn't wait - why she didn't get off and lead him around I dont know but I bet he pulled back and he hates pressure on his poll so would have taken off after that.  She said initially he went left but then guess he figured that wasn't the way home - apparently he then turned around, measured up the cattle grid and then galloped at it and flew it taking off from 3ft out.  Never again shall I doubt his scope!

He then galloped flat out down the hill and then I guess he got stuck at the bottom as he knew the way home was left but there was a large fence in his way.  Thank god he didn't attempt to jump it as he is quite capable and then he would have crossed that main road by himself which doesn't bare thinking about.  I saw his reflectives from halfway down the hill so started calling him and could see his ears go up and him start trotting around.  He wouldn't let any of the dog walkers catch him but I called him and he came to me - silly horse.  They had called the police as guess he'd been down there a while and no sign of me.  Got them to call again pretty quick - I'm not meant to be on the ranges!  Checked him over and seemed ok so got back on him and then had to get him home asap as was pretty much dark.  He was wired.  He was a right sweaty mess when we got back so left him in for a couple of hours to cool down.  Went back to check on him, brushed off the mud and no sign of any swelling on his dodgy tendon thank bloody god.  His monster windgall on his right fore had swollen up again but hardly surprising given his galloping on the gravel road.

Fingers crossed he is still ok tomorrow.  Fecking horse.  He's so nearly had me off so many times over the last few months I suppose I should be greatful it was at least on the right side of the fenceline.  He's just so flipping sharp.  I think I'm going back to hating hacking and avoiding it at all costs from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment