Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Monty RC SJ Farnham Town Showground (Wey Valley RC)

Was meant to have a dressage lesson Sat but it was cancelled due to the weather.  Then ended up riding in glorious sunshine in the afternoon.  Had a rubbish schooling session best not talked about - just cannot get him to hold himself in the canter so he is always on my hands which makes give and retake impossible!

So, having missed going out on Sat I really wanted to go out Sunday and it wasn't raining when I left home or when I got to yard so thought we'd go.  Got halfway to venue and it started chucking it down.  Sat in car for a bit and it eased off so decided to go and enter the 90cm.  They were doing 2 phase so I had to try and remember 14 jumps which is a lot for my little jumping brain.  It chucked it down in the warmup and despite studs Monts was sliding all over the place and not happy to the point where I thought might be something wrong with him.  Decided to take him in and see but obviously just the ground as he jumped a lovely clear over the first part of the course, had a little look at the water tray and then pinged it, so onto the jumpoff part of the course.  Due to the ground I was not going to push him for speed or tight corners.  Eventing is my priority so I wanted a nice rhythmic clear round and we got it lovely.  Only had one sticky moment where got too close to the jump on a related 4 strides before the double so we were a bit off the first part of the double but he popped through no probs.

I really wanted to do the 1m class as he'd made the 90cm seem so easy but I didn't want to have to take him back in the warmup and I didn't want to push it on bad ground when he'd just jumped so well so we went home again.

fence1:

fence 2:
 last fence:
 part 1 of the jump off double
 part 2 of the jumpoff double:
 fence 11:
 fence 2:
 fence 3:
 fence 4:
 fence 9:
 fence 12:
 fence 6 the water tray




Yesterday we did more work on his canter - loads of loads of trot-canter, canter-trot transitions which I did feel made him carry himself a bit better but still trying to give and retake the reins results in him running off with his head in the air.  2.5wks till the champs - better hope the rest of the dressage test is good enough to make up for it!  My stopwatch arrived last night - very exciting this roads and tracks and steeplechase thing.  Aim for next year now is to do one of the BE100 3 day events (especially as they are direct qualifiers for Badminton and the XC phase is so his strength!)

Dressage tonight - P18 and N34 unaffiliated - prob his last unaff prelim but we had free entries to use up so thought we might as well.  Currently umming about whether to do the BD Novices at Pachesham next Wed - have booked half day off to do it, but not sure he needs to go out again or whether we'd be better working at home.  Saying that, he seems to work better at comps than at home so maybe we should just do it.

Lost all enthusiasm for riding Llewi at all.  Sharer rode him both days at weekend.  I spose I should ride him today, I just cant be bothered as I cant see the point :(

No comments:

Post a Comment